Between colds, flus and the winter blahs, winter can be a tough season. Here are some natural steps to ensure a healthy winter season for you and your family.
- Get your rest – sleep is a nutrient that is important for health and happiness.
- Use a humidifier – dry winter air contributes to the increased rate of respiratory tract infections.
- Eat plenty of vegetables, including fruits (yes, fruits are vegetables). Vegetable soups, roasted vegetables, and bean dishes are very warming in winter months. Fruits always make a healthy snack or dessert.
- Make sure you are getting enough vitamin D – up to 2,500 IU daily for children 1 year or older and up to 4,000 IU daily for anyone 9 years or older. This almost always requires supplementation since we get no vitamin D from sunlight in winter months and a glass of milk has only 100 IU.
- Omega-3 essential fatty acids are so important for healthy immune function and mood – they also help prevent cracked lips and dry hands. If you like fish, great sources that are low in mercury and other environmental toxins include sardines, Alaskan salmon, herring, cod, and mackerel. If you don’t like fish, taking fish oil capsules will do the trick – just make sure your brand is tested for rancidity, heavy metals, and environmental toxins.
- Stay active – getting outside when the sun is out can have a remarkable affect on our health in the winter months.
- I know, I know it is not fair to bring up during the holidays, but sugary sweets slow down the function of white blood cells that devour bacteria and can have negative affects on mood. Refined carbohydrates like sugar (white, brown, sugar cane crystals, dehydrated cane juice, etc.) corn syrup, honey, and maple syrup are all culprits. For homemade sweets, stevia extract is a wonderful, healthy, natural sugar substitute. Apple pie, anyone?
If cold or flu symptoms start, liquid extracts of echinacea root and elderberry taken by mouth help symptoms while reducing the duration of illness. Goldenseal (warning – a very bitter herb) works great in a neti pot for reducing nasal congestion or by mouth for sore throats.
Richard Malik, ND
How to order medicines online at cheapest prices? Revia blocks an enzyme that is involved in metabolizing alcohol intake. Used as part of a treatment plan for problem drinking. Thousands of customers order online such remedies like Kamagra. Many US citizens know about levitra generic name. How you can find detailed information about buy generic levitra? The so important aspect you need look for is cheapest generic levitra. Certainly, for a lot of people, bringing up the problem in the first place is the toughest step. Some medications may add to sex drive difficulties, so its essential to work closely with your health care occupational so that the formula can be tailored to your needs. Sometimes the treatment options may include sexual dysfunction remedies or hormone treatments. Not to mention that purchasing any medicaments outside a prestigious online pharmacy can be unsafe.